Rectorate

AddThis Social Bookmark Button

 

The building where Rectorate is situated is an architectural monument of the XXth century with its deep history.Building of the Rectorate, 1910

 

During 110 years the building has functioned as an educational institution. It was built thanked to the financial support of a well-known philanthropist and sugar industry owner in Tsar Russia - Nikola Tereshchenko, honored citizen of Kyiv. The building was constructed in 1901 in honor of Tereshchenko's wife, Pelageya Tereshchenko. He hosted the only commercial school for women in Russian Empire. The architect of the building was a well-known artist - Pavlo Hollandski.

 

The commercial school for women was subordinated to the Ministry of Commerce and Industry. Young girls at the age of 12-15 studied there which after the graduation of the school worked as specialists at middle size commercial and industrial institutions.

 

During World War I The Third Georgian mobile hospital was located in the building. In 20s and 30s of the XXth century the commercial school for women functioned there again. Later, the building hosted the First Commercial School and Cooperative Technical College.

 

Since1931 till 1938 German secondary school №24 for national minorities was situated in the building where the language of tuition was German.

 

During World War II when Kyiv was occupied by Nazi Germany (1941-1943) a school "VolksDeutsche" was located in the building. After the liberation of the city in 1943 secondary school № 24 for Soviet elite started its work in the building with the Russian language of tuition. Among school graduates there were famous Ukrainians: Doctors of Sciences, scientists, governors of state institutions.

 

In 1972 this nice historical building hosted Kyiv State In-Service Institute for Teachers. First Departments of the future University were created in this building.

 

In 2008 Rectorate and Administrative Departments of Borys Grinchenko Kyiv University moved to this building.

 

In 2010 the official museum of Borys Grinchenko was opened there which was regularly visited by University students and staff.

 

Rectorate and Administrative Departments of Borys Grinchenko Kyiv University

Помітили помилку в тексті? Виділіть це слово мишкою та натисніть Ctrl+Enter

You are here: Home Contacts Contacts Rectorate