History

Formation of the Tradition of Teachers Training and In-Service Education in Kyiv

June 12, 1861 - the first congress of teachers and researchers of natural sciences was held in Kyiv, which initiated activities (including short-term teachers training courses) aimed at professional development of teachers of Dnieper Ukraine.

1863 - short-term teachers training courses were ongoing, including the courses for teachers of humanities.

March 16, 1874 - the Circular proposal to the trustees of educational districts on the organization of systematic short-term teachers training courses was issued.

1875 - temporary teachers training courses were organized for teachers of primary public schools (the Rules for these courses were published on August 5, 1875).

1886 - summer courses of church singing were introduced for teachers of primary public schools of the South-Western region (the Rules for these courses were published on October 3, 1886).

Institutional History of Borys Grinchenko Kyiv University

September 28, 1903 - Kyiv Church Teachers' School was founded (director - Vasyl Lypkivsky). This date is the day of Borys Grinchenko Kyiv University foundation.

December 1917 - Kyiv Church Teachers' School was transformed into Kyiv Ukrainian Teachers' Seminary (since 1918 it was named after Borys Grinchenko).

1920 – Kyiv Ukrainian Teachers' Seminary named after B. Grinchenko was transformed into Kyiv Teachers Training School named after B. Grinchenko.

1922 - Kyiv Teachers Training School named after B. Grinchenko was reorganized into Kyiv Higher Three-Year Teachers Training Courses named after B. Grinchenko (as a result of merging with Three-Year Teachers Training Courses named after K. Ushynsky)

1925 - Kyiv Higher Three-Year Teachers Training Courses named after B. Grinchenko were reorganized into Teachers Training College named after B. Grinchenko.

1937 - Teachers Training College was renamed as Teachers Training School.

June 1, 1939 - the City Institute for In-Service Teachers Training was organized in Kyiv.

1941 - Kyiv City Institute for In-Service Teachers Training temporally suspended its activities because of the Nazi occupation of Kyiv.

1943 - Kyiv City Institute for In-Service Teachers Training resumed its activities.

August 15, 1963 - Kyiv City Teachers Training College was established.

August 1, 1979 - Kyiv City Teachers Training College was awarded №1.

August 1, 1979 - Kyiv Teachers Training College №2 was established.

May 15, 1985 - Kyiv Teachers Training College №3 was established.

1988 - the first Departments of Social Sciences, Primary Education, Psychology were opened at Kyiv City Institute for In-Service Teachers Training.

June 26, 1991 - Kyiv Interregional Institute for In-Service Teachers Training was established on the basis of Kyiv Regional and City Institutes for In-Service Teachers Training.

January 21, 1992 - Kyiv Teachers Training College №2 was named after K. Ushynsky.

June 8, 1993 – Teachers Training College at Taras Shevchenko National University of Kyiv was established on the basis of Kyiv City Teachers Training College №1.

December 17, 1993 - Kyiv Interregional Institute for In-Service Teachers Training was named after B.D. Grinchenko.

August 26, 1994 - on the basis of Kyiv Teachers Training College №2 named after K.D. Ushynsky Kyiv Teachers Training College named after K.D. Ushynsky was established.

June 20, 1995 - Kyiv City Teachers Training College was established on the basis of Kyiv Teachers Training College №3.

June 20, 2002 - Kyiv Interregional Institute for In-Service Teachers Training named after B.D. Grinchenko was reorganized into Kyiv City Teachers Training University named after B.D. Grinchenko.

August 22, 2007 - by the Kyiv City Council resolution the Concept of the integrated system of training and in-service training of academic staff of Kyiv was approved. The structure of the University included municipal pedagogical colleges of Kyiv: Kyiv City Teachers Training College at Taras Shevchenko National University of Kyiv, Kyiv Teachers Training College named after K.D. Ushynsky, Kyiv City Teachers Training College.

September 1, 2007 - the Institute of In-Service Teachers Education was established on the basis of the Faculty of In-Service Teachers Education within the University.

January 1, 2008 - the Institute of Psychology and Social Pedagogy, the Humanities Institute, the Institute of Preschool, Primary and Art Education, and the University College began their activities within the structure of the University.

September 1, 2008 - the Institute of Leadership, Educational Legislation and Policy was launched within the structure of the University.

October 08, 2009 - by the Kyiv City Council resolution Kyiv City Teachers Training University named after B. D. Grinchenko was renamed as Borys Grinchenko Kyiv University.

June 14-17, 2011 - The University joined  European Association for the Education of Adults.

November 19, 2012 - The University joined the International Association of Universities.

January 25, 2013 - The University joined the European Association of Universities.

October 28, 2019 - the University obtained the status of a full member of the European Association of Universities, which was made possible by the successful international activities of the University, increasing its ranking in the European Education Area, support and implementation of European values. 

© 2021 Borys Grinchenko Kyiv University